How many sparrows can you count in this picture? (answer at the bottom)

Growing up my father waged an epic battle with the squirrels to keep them out of his bird feeders.

To this day, the battle rages on and I am not sure who is winning the war.

We have several videos of squirrels performing death defying acts to get to the bird feeders, only to fail, bounce on the ground and try again. If you are looking for a working definition of perseverance, it would be a video about squirrels and food. And it would amaze you!

But I have chosen not to carry my father's torch and have attempted to make peace with the squirrels. I have an entire trough of corn and sunflower seeds set out for them. It has been very effective at keeping them out of my feeders. But like many good ideas it has come with unintended consequences.

It has also attracted the sparrow hoards! (and an occassional raccoon family)

Most people would be negative about the marauding gangs of sparrows taking over a bird feeding area. I have felt that at times. I like the pretty birds! The red crimson cardinal, the purple headed house finch, and a bright yellow golden finch can make me squeal with delight! But what about the plethora of sparrows? Why no love?

The sparrows are also a gift from Jesus.

I can draw lots of spiritual analogies but for now they are an aggressive wild chorus that descends upon me and loudly proclaims: "You are alive! I see you! Come dance to the music and play with us!"

I like that message.

Perhaps it takes a village of sparrows to interupt my day and remind me through an orchestra of bird song, I am not alone or forgotten.

He sees you friend. He knows.

Perhaps he is winking at you as well with a gaggle of little brown birds. ;)

Answer- 14

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When I was young . . .

Hummingbirds

A lesson from a leaf