Hummingbirds



Did you hear that?

It really causes you to stop and look for the biggest bumble bee in the world when you first hear a hummingbird. I have watched my fear of being stung by Mothra turn into shear delight that I am near a hummingbird.

We have several feeders outside our windows and every visit feels like a personal gift dispatched directly from the heart of God.

A hummingbird will always stop me and hold my attention. Why?

Maybe it is the science? Hummingbirds are one of the very few birds that can fly in place because their wings actually create a figure 8 pattern which is very unique and allows them to hover. Clever design feature for an important pollinator.

Maybe it is the splashes of color? We have many of the emerald throated hummingbirds in our area. When the light hits it just right they sparkle in the sun as they flit here and there.

Maybe it is the dance within the community? Often there is only one gift at the feeder but when a few arrive together, the dance is magical. They are actually called a "charm" when in a small group. Notoriously territorial, however, hummingbirds seem to be constently reminding each other that this is their personal feeder. I find myself smiling and giggling as they quickly dart to and fro refreshing everyone's memory.

Maybe it is the field biologist in me that sits in awe of the many wonderous truths of this tiny bird.
- It is only found in the Americas
- It's nickname is "flying jewels"
- They can migrate from Alaska to Mexico
- They use spiderwebs to build their nests
- Their eggs are often the size of jelly beans
- Their hearts beat 1260 times a minute
- They consume twice their body weight every day

Wow! Perhaps I simply can sense the miracle at my window that is a hummingbird.

Perhaps that is why they always stop me and hold my attention.

May I always praise the creator of flying jewels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When I was young . . .

A lesson from a leaf